Tuesday, March 8, 2016

On my own but not Alone

Chances are, people you meet when you travel alone will be incredibly interesting people.


Eleven nights on my own (living out of one small backpack), traveling and exploring the southern part of Europe by myself. Some call me adventurous, while others call me crazy. The number one question that I get asked is "Don't you get lonely." My reply... Yes, of course I do because we are creatures meant to be in relationship with other humans. I miss having conversations over meals and sharing a good laugh as we walk away from a bizarre situation. I miss the security of having a buddy when I walk down a sketchy street and having someone to talk to in order to avoid the awkward social exchange with strangers.  
But, was I every truly alone? No, with God by my side I was never alone. When I was feeling lonely there was always something or someone that came my way to give me laughter and give me company. Here are 5 stories from my trip where God provided a good laugh, comfort, and companionship.

(1) Have you ever been hit on by an 80 year old man? Well I have! His name is Aldo. He lives in Genoa, Italy, the city I took a spontaneous day trip to. At first I thought that Aldo was offering to take my picture for me, but instead he wanted to show me the Cathedral. He barely spoke English so our conversation was a lot of famous American Songs that Aldo would hum and I would sing a line or two. Inside the Church, Aldo showed me the bomb that didn't explode. As we talked Aldo would call me "bella donna, bonita!" At one point, he started to hum "here comes the bride." Before, I said my goodbyes we went for the Italian two cheek kiss, but heading towards the second cheek I was staring at Aldo's lips! Don't worry I didn't kiss him, I just called him a sneaky man and walked off with a wave. Ciao!

This is the sneaky Aldo!
(2) Have you ever mistaken a garbage can for something else? Julie did! Julie and Becca are a mother daughter duo visiting Venice the same day I did. I didn't meet them until the end of the day, but our short conversation and company on the long train ride filled me with joy. The day was gloomy, rainy, and tiring. I barely stopped walking except to take a boat ride, eat food, and visit a couple churches. The company of this mother daughter duo reminded me that its the little things that make you smile. For example, all trains come equipped with a trash can, Julie didn't realize this and thought the box was for wet umbrellas. Becca was so embarrassed that her mom put the umbrellas in the trash can, but we all found it comical and had a good laugh for a short time.

(3) Have you ever wanted a butt like a man in an old painting? Not until Milan I didn't. There's nothing like the company of people who you can call your own. Luke, Eliana, Sarah came to visit Milan, where I was their guide for the day. We spent the afternoon laughing at silly jokes, such as how firm the butts of some of the men in paintings are!


(4) Have you ever met an Angel? Well, I met an Angela in Athens. She was a true blessing, dispelling any uncomfortable feelings I had in a new city. Angela is a Taiwanese Business women, who stayed in the same hostel as me. Within 5 minutes of meeting her she invites me to eat with her. Every night in Athens, Angela and I would go out to eat and each night I would learn something more about her life, her business, her travels! This just goes to show that companionship comes in many forms.

First night in Athens with Angela
(5) Have you ever been so excited to talk to a complete stranger? After a 11 days of being on your own, a simple conversation can bring a smile to your face. On the train ride from Thessaloniki to Athens, I was tired, I was anxious, and all I wanted was something familiar. Thats when I met Elias, a 19 year old boy. We came from different places, and had different experiences, but it was the ease of conversation about school, music, and dreams for the future felt familiar. In our short conversation before we each drifted off to sleep, I felt assured that friends can be made at any time and in any place!

----


When you travel by yourself you learn a lot about who you are, what gives you strength, and where your foundation lies. One of the biggest lessons I learned on this trip was to put my full reliance in God. I had to trust that He would light my path and provide for me every step of the way. He provided friends and company to remind me that even when I travel by myself, I am never truly alone. He goes before me and walks right beside me. Never did he leave. Not once.

Matt Redman, Never Once:


"Standing on this mountaintop

Looking just how far we've come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
...
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did you leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful"

Father God, your faithfulness continues to amaze me. Thank you for never letting go of my hand and always keeping me in your presence.


#katiespiceurope

#AdventureTime
#SB2k16


No comments:

Post a Comment