Monday, January 11, 2016

Wat // What // Qué

There are many things that are different from home, not bad ... just different.  Language for one. It is hard enough being 7 time zones away from your family, and then on top of that having a language barrier!!  Here are the thoughts that ramble through my brain.

My host family consists of Esther (the mom), Wietse (the dad), Yoran (the oldest brother), Aniek (the oldest sister), Romijn (the middle sister), and Maroes (the youngest sister). They have been wonderful and very welcoming. They are patient with me and I am with them. Because English is not the family's first language, finding a word is sometimes difficult. I am grateful that they try and communicate in English. And when they do speak Dutch, Esther or Wietse translate for me. For the kids, speaking in English is harder because for some they are just starting to learn English in the school. When they do speak in my native tongue, I am impressed and thankful for a little piece of ... well, peace, knowing that we can communicate. I want to jump for joy when they speak in English.

Despite, this small connection, there are times when I feel completely and utterly lost. When the whole family is at the eating table, everyone is excited and they love to talk. Church was all in Dutch. Random strangers walk up to me and start talking Dutch, asking directions. I feel frustrated that I don't know the language.  I have to focus twice as hard to try and pick up on other non verbal cues to know where the conversation is going.

However, during the 6 days I have been in the Netherlands, I have picked up several words. My peers say the same.  I am amazed at what our brains are capable of. My host family is a huge help (and so is Google translate). I learned numbers by playing games with my host sisters: Een, twee, drie, vier, vijf. They taught me the Dutch alphabet while drawing pictures. I am also working on reading Dutch (even if I can't understand it yet) by reading children's books and reading everything in sight. The family says I am doing "goed." Dank u wel! But, its so hard and I often feel inadequate like I am butchering their language. If at first you don't succeed try again! I keep trying because I want to communicate in their native tongue to show my appreciation for their hospitality. It seems early to be thanking them for their hospitality, but the first few days are critical - the adjustment period - so I guess its not premature. Pretty soon, I hope to jump for joy when I learn more Dutch!

Lord God Almighty, Thank you for your protection and guidance. Thank you for creating each one of us unique and in your image. Thank you for language and the means to communicate. May your name be praised by every tongue and nation.  Amen  //  Revelation 7:9


#katiespiceurope
#languagebarriers

1 comment:

  1. Have you looked at the Duolingo app? There are a few mistakes in their translations, but your host family can help you sort it out. Good luck Katie!! ��

    ReplyDelete