Thursday, February 4, 2016

Excusion #2 - Amsterdam

5 Germans 1 American impaled by Crazy Dutch Drivers

Thus reads the headlines of yesterday's adventure... or maybe the headlines read:

Insta-overload: 23 photos same canal

The second may more accurately describe our second excursion with SPICE. While we were all a little trigger happy with our cameras, we also learned a lot about the city of Amsterdam. 




Need more exercise? Join SPICE! Fast-walking Amsterdam Feb 2, 2016!

Right out of the gate, we start walking although maybe not the speed of professional speed walkers, but enough to make me want to keep near the front so I don't get left behind. Because let me tell you that those Amsterdam divers are crazier than NYC! Watch out for the trams too! Oh, and the bikers! And don't forget the pigeons. 


Our excursion included a canal boat tour, a city walk guided by our professor, self-guided tour of the Rijksmuseum, and a visit to the Anne Frank house. 

1 girl inspires millions

The story of Anne Frank is familiar to many; if not then google it, or better yet read her book. I've visited the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. and I've read and learned about Anne Frank since I was in Elementary School. Therefore, this was a perfect learning experience to put a story with the actual place it occurred. The museum was empty and the atmosphere dark and solemn. One of my classmates said it the best: Even though Anne and her family were technically "free" (not in a concentration camp), they were bound by rules an routine and were in captivity and a prison of sorts. Because the family needed to stay silent all day long, and couldn't go outside or even look outside, their secret annex was their prison. 

Sex, Drugs, Water

When asked what three words would describe Amsterdam a friend said sex, drugs, water. As you walk you don't realize that you have entered the Red Light District. You see something move in the window and you look over to see... Well, I'll just leave it at that. On nearly every street corner there are coffeeshops (aka pot shops). With nearly 100 km of canals in Amsterdam and 1500 bridges, I think it is safe to say that there is a lot of water. 

23 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 1

Our group! 5 Germans 1 American
We started our excursion with all 23 members of SPICE. Six of us stayed on for more adventure (The Paper Kites concert). We found good food and great sites amongst our budding friendship. I feel so blessed to have gotten to know the five German girls of the SPICE group. Their friendship is a true blessing. As the morning went on, our group of 6 turned to 5 as Rachel went home. And then later we moved to 4 as Carina also left. Our little group of 4 found gorgeous sites in the Centrum and the Jordan. I think I found a perfect Instagram post on this trip, and it was even more special because it was shared with good friends. And then there was 1. Our first adventure complete. On my bike ride back to my host home, I kept thinking was "Boy, I'm glad my bike didn't get stolen!"




Lord Jesus Christ, Thank you for your continual protection and guidance. Thank you for friends and this beautiful country. Your glory shines through even in the darkest of spots.


No comments:

Post a Comment