Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Study Abroad Recipe

Life in the family de Boer. Its an adventure, its an emotional roller coaster. They have been my family for the last 2 months. Wow! I can't believe 2 months (Okay well maybe I'm a few days early or a week too early). They are like most any other family; they breathe, have two legs and eat food because they enjoy it and they need to nourish their bodies. you can tell they are Dutch by the food they eat, the language they speak and the way that they speak. What has stood out to me is their value on eating together. Back in America, I love shared meal times with my roommates or my family on Sunday afternoons (even 7 times zones away, I get to be share a meal with my family via a picture and video call!). At camp, we put an emphasis on shared meal times and eating "family style." Yes, some nights in the de Boer family not everyone is present or the meal feels rushed or it feels chaotic because everyone is up and moving around, but in general we eat together. All meal times are special in the de Boer family, but I have to say that dinner time is usually my favorite because everyone is home (mostly...) and everyone is talking away. One night, we played a game where we went around and said the first word that came to our mind based on the previous person's word. You can get some crazy responses that way. I also enjoy dinner time because we share good food, we share our day, we share emotions. Some nights it seems like every person is just not having it. Some one is yelling, some one is running around, someone is making faces, someone is crying, someone is quiet. But whatever is happening in life the family comes back to one thing: God. A typical dinner ends with a devotion and prayer. Christ truly is the center of this house.

Story time with Katie. So, I read a lot of cook books in my spare time. Yeah, you read that right. I read cook books for fun. Additionally, some of you may know me from my semi-famous cooking show: Cooking Colorfully with Katie. I love to cook, but I haven't taken advantage of the new studio for my show! In keeping with the theme of meals and shared time together with the de Boer family, I have created my own recipe.


Survival Goulash

1 American Student
6 Dutch family members
2 crazy cats
1 cup vulnerability
2/3 cup crazy
7 tablespoons love
1 bouillon of trust
A dash of adventure


Directions:

In a Dutch oven, mix ingredients together. Stir constantly for the first month, ensuring that the American gets a good blending. In the second month stir occasionally giving the American her space to grow. In the 3rd month, let recipe rise. Once, the mixture has risen for 1 month, a sweet fragrance will be present.

The last month... well thats up to you! Decide for yourself what your recipe needs in the last month. Maybe you just sit around a table and enjoy it for all its worth. Small bites with coffee and good conversation. Large ravenous bites to take everything in at one time. How will I end my recipe? Just wait and see!

Trouble shooting your recipe.
  • You don't have a Dutch oven... well then you're out of luck try a different recipe. 
  • If in the second month the American portion is being stretched too much, an extra tablespoon of love or a dash of social gathering may be needed. 
  • If in the second month your mixture isn't looking right you may need to stir more often to encourage the mix to grow before you let it rise. 
  • If you notice the mixture dipping in the middle, this is alright! Before the mixture can rise it may need a little time to relax first. 
  • If after the 3rd month the fragrance is not sweet make sure that the American is doing her laundry (don't worry mom I do mine!).
So you think your recipe is done... well you're wrong. This recipe will never be complete. It is an organic recipe that will continue to grow, develop, and change. It is made up of living organisms that need to be cared for. This is also a recipe that is not for the lazy chef because it is highly involved and requires attention. Ultimately, cherish every second of it!!


Lord you are a gracious God. Thank you for providing every step of the way.

#katiespiceurope
#hostfamily

No comments:

Post a Comment