Thursday, April 21, 2016

When in Rome

Oh the places you'll go and the people you'll meet. When you travel with a group try not to fall on you feet. - Dr Seuss (edited by L.L. Cornstarch).
The travel craze lately has been focused on traveling alone. My own travels have emulated this trend as I've treaded through 7 countries with only myself by my side. I have loved the challenge of finding out who I am and stretching my comfort zones. Meeting new people came easy because I was forced to rely on strangers for a lot of my needs. However, I have had my share of group travels as well, including a most recent trip with a group of 30 students to Rome, Italy. Well it may be obvious that I prefer one way to travel over the other, it does not mean that one is necessarily better than the other - they are just different. Those differences are influenced by the group dynamic as well as the size of the group. Here are the main differences that I discovered:

(1) 
Spontaneity has a different meaning in a large group because everything is planned and there is a schedule and a route to the way the day moves. It's harder to veer off course and see a sight thats not on the schedule. It's harder to fully rest on your break when you know you have to keep walking in 10 min. However, everything is planned for you. Instead of me fumbling through the ticket line to get into museums or finding out which churches to see, things are already taken care of and I just follow the group where they lead me. I definitely saw more sites with a group than I did on my own. There were two different styles of learning. On my own it was all about about learning through experiencing the culture and walking around. With the group it was all about the sites and learning the history behind them.

(2) 
Other people's opinions matter. You have a other people to consider when you are with a group - their expectations, their tolerances, habits, likes and dislikes. For example, making choices for dinner. Instead of one opinion you get about a million. You also notice that more people are indecisive when it comes to a group because they want everyone included, and then you run across those people that take charge. Personalities really come to light in groups. When you travel alone it is up to you to fulfill all the group roles.

(3) 
So many people to talk to. You can just float around from person to person as you walk, making conversation as you go. You might get separated from you convo buddy for a block or two and you have a few choices find a new one, meet back up with them or walk by yourself. What makes a conversation work? Anything. Anything at all! Name you poison. What did you think of church number 7? Number 23? Number 370? Would you visit Rome again? Would you live in Rome? Where else have you travelled? What do you love most about the Netherlands? You name it and it goes, even if for one short convo.


Travel far enough, you meet yourself - Cloud Atlas

     Traveling is where I became confident in finding my way through the unknown. It all started with a single plane ride across the Atlantic (okay maybe two planes) where I met a family that was unknown to me at first, where I experienced a culture that was unfamiliar. I briefly tasted what it is like to travel and live out of your backpack for 3 days, 6 days, 12 days! I traveled by myself and with groups of people. I watched the sun rise and set in more than one country. I shared countless stories that may have caused a few people to be jealous. I hopefully shared a few that inspired at least one person to pursue their desire to travel (even if its a short trip across the pond).
 
     There it is, the end of my travel adventures. But, to say it is the final end would be a lie so let me re-phrase that to say: my travel adventures are wrapping up here in Europe and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the next time a door like this opens up.

----

Lord thank you for your continued protection as my travel adventures of the semester come to a close.

#katiespiceurope
#travel




No comments:

Post a Comment